GRANOLA ...Zero waste journey

Sunday I made my first homemade Granola!
When it comes to breakfast I usually hover between toasts or a muesli bowl mixed with yogurt and apple puree. 

As you may know I'm trying to reduce my plastic consumption, and breakfast was the next thing to takle on the plastic-free list.
I've followed a recipe from Marlette, a french duo that I've loved since their beginning and can be trusted wholeheartedly.

EASY AND QUICK RECIPE
200g oatmeal
35g blond sugar
40g squash seeds
40g sunflower seeds
40g almonds (that I chop myself)
40g raisins
65g tap water/juice of your choice
one teaspoon grounded cinnamon
one teaspoon liquid vanilla
one tablespoon of honey

Mix all the dry ingredients (except raisins) then add the liquid ones.
Cook on a baking tray for 20-25min at 200°C.
Mid-cooking: stir the mixture and add the raisins (I always find them over-cooked otherwise)

Quantity: it lasts me four mornings.
On my third bash I made it double so I still have some for the weekend and have a peaceful sunday lay-in.


The two main goals here were to make something from scratch thus avoid the weird chemicals of the processed muesli, and to quit the plastic packaged industrial version.
I bought oatmeal, sunflower seeds, squash seeds, almonds and raisins in the bulk section of my organic shop. I used paper bags to bring them home because I wasn't  sure if they had a "bring your own container" policy. Next time I will ask!
The honey came from a glass jar. So did the cinnamon. And the vanilla came in a plastic jar gifted to us.

It's important to remind yourself that going zerowaste, or veggie, or vegan is a process. The aim is to reduce harm, not to achieve perfection.

Silly me forget to buy almonds on my first try so I had to buy plastic packaged ones from my standard supermarket. On my next try, I didn't forget and realised that the organic spanich almonds were the same price as the regular one from California the supermaket sells.



After two weeks of intense tests (ie. grumpy morning me) I can proudly say that this recipe has been adopted. I no longer need those processed plastic-packaged muesli which are unbelievably expensive for a rather suspicious list of ingredients.

Crispy, perfectly sweet and nourrishing... what else? ;)

Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés