Three favourite zero waste account #1

MINDFUL and PEACE




When I stress out about having "the perfect" zero waste lifestyle, when I worry too much about all that is left to achieve, or when the state of the world drawn me, this account is the one that calms me down. 
  


"It’s time for your monthly reminder!

The term zero waste originally wasn't intended to be implemented as a lifestyle trend of sorts - it's actually an industrial term which refers to a circular economy - where we design, manufacture, consume, and recover in a circular fashion without waste as an end product.

Zero waste doesn’t exist yet.
Our current infrastructure is linear, which means we design for the dump. Trash is ultimately a design problem.We tend to take the "zero waste" term as though it's all in or nothing...as though you don't consume or participate in any other thing that could be waste related.

The premise of zero waste is actually to look carefully at what we are designing (to mimic the systems of nature), to embrace careful consumption, material mindfulness, resourcefulness, simplicity, and to revisit craftsmanship of our products and services. It's about bringing value back into our belongings, people, and community. The shift is about changing our attitudes towards waste, consumerism, & resource nutrient flows. We also have to understand that anything we consume right now can be spun with a bad environmental breakdown, that's because we've designed infrastructure, manufacturing, consumption, and disposal with waste and convenience in mind.

By having a low-waste mindset it becomes our living protest against this linear economy of production and consumption. It's saying, I want a better outcome than the tons of trash and toxic plastics polluting our planet.
I want better design, better recovery, long lasting, durable, reusable and repairable products. This level of consumer demand will ripple upstream and that's how change will start to happen. We have a long way to go still.
Remember, not everyone will have the same access or ability to make changes or do something. There are lots of complexities - social, political, economic, environmental issues that are barriers. There is no perfect system right now. Do your best. •"
What I wear now is a big departure from my early 20’s. The younger me would buy whatever I thought I looked cute in and what I thought others would think I looked cute in. I didn’t take time to think about what I actually felt good in for myself. Instead I would follow trend after trend. Never satisfied. I would buy clothing at a whim; $5 tanks, $10 jeans, $8 dresses, it’s what I could afford but it seemed like an endless cycle of consuming all for clothing that ended up in a donation pile, pilled, ripped at the seams from poor construction, and whole heartily unloved. There was no ownership or value in what I bought or put on my skin. In the end, I would often spend more in a year on smaller meaningless purchases than if I had just waited and saved for 1-2 pieces of clothing that would be with me for a lifetime. Something that was better made, from people who got paid a living wage, where their community and environment wasn’t marginalized. Where water and air wasn’t contaminated by toxic dumping from synthetic dyes and fabrics. I wasn’t valuing myself or the people, resources, and community my clothing came from. I reshaped slowly my relationship with clothing. I asked questions like: Who made my clothes? What is my clothing made from? How can I buy less and better? What do I actually wear and need? I took big pauses in my spending. I wore what I already had, bought less and went to thrift shops. I was also careful not to fall into the same trap of over buying at thrift stores either. I needed a new mindset for my wardrobe. Fast forward to my late-thirties and I’ve found a balance between old and new. If I need something (which is far and few between) I look for second hand pieces, but I also invest in makers who design clothes to last. Where people, resources, and communities are not put in jeopardy. What is the true cost of clothing? Clothing is personal. We have to dig deep. We have to see it as a whole new relationship. • • • • • • #whomademyclothes #fastfashion #theartofslowliving #mindfulness #elizabethsuzann #eco #green #thrifting #plasticpollution #notsponsored
Une publication partagée par Andrea Sanders (@bezerowastegirl) le










Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés