Zero waste... where to start: BATHROOM edition

During the past year I saved three plastic packaged toothpastes, and two plastic tootbrushes. 
In the last six month I saved two plastic bottled shower gels, two plastic bottled shampoo, one single use plastic deodorant and half my consumption of sanitary towels/pads (and only two pads for my last two cycles! Wouhou!).

After a few months trial, wins and defeats, it is time... for the awaited REVIEW of my first zero waste changes. I'll start with the bathroom changes, because they are the one I was the most unsure yet curious about. 
After rumaging through the family cupboards I found a collection of Alep and Marseille soaps. These are mediterranean soaps easily available in France (hence the forgotten stack). They don't really have an expiry date if stored well (dry and dark) so I'll probably finish them in a few years haha.
Otherwise you can now find cruelty-free, package free bar soap in a lot of places. Internet is the best place to do your research. 
- Look for local soap makers, you may be surprise to discover great family business! In France I discovered 'Savonnerie Aubergine' and 'Comme avant'
- Lush can be an option, but the colourful ones are often the most drying for my skin. 
- Savon de Marseille, Alep soap can come in bulk but be careful not all of them are cruelty-free. 
- Castile soap (usa). Dr Bronner's is cruelty free and vegan.

I've been using a bar soap for 6 months, I had no reaction or dryness and every time I use this soap I think about all these pupils and grandmas who've used this kind of soap for generations. Surprisingly it  grounds me in a tradition (quite strong in France) every time I wash.


 My old plastic-packaged deodorant ran out at christmas and did not let me try different homemade deodorant recipes. Plus, I'm always scared to smell bad and having my first day as an intern... it wasn't the best time for me to explore homemade recipes.

Back then I had two boxes to tick off my list: Cruelty-free and Package free. I went to Lush and brought T'eo, guided by its smell.


How it works:  It's a powdery deodorant, you just rub it on your dry armpits. It is easier to apply without a top on, so you don't prematurely crumble it against your clothes. I used to have roll-on so that was not something I did. 
I store it in a little Lush stainless steel tin (2€), you can use a similar object.

The wax underneath is very slowly falling appart, it is not disrupting though.
I am considering wrapping it in cloth in its box when travelling so that it does not get damage.

I'm not a blindful Lush fan, but T'eo is a big YES.



TIPS: I store it on a metal soap dish, which allow it to dry fully between use. I rub it on my wet scalp but never plunge it under water. It's very important to let it dry completely afterwards so that it lasts longer.

I'm currently trying "Soak and Float" (Lush), a soothing shampoo bar which helps with eczema.
For now it's easy to apply, soothing, not drying and lighter than "Honey I washed my hair". 
The two shampoos work well together.

I will report properly when I finish Soak and float (in 3-5 months).




Do talk with your dentist and do your own research, but it's a shared belief in the zero waste community that toothpaste is not crucial to take care of your teeth, the most important part being brushing after eating. Different products can be used on top of brushing if you want to: solid toothpaste, baking soda (be sure to use a very thin one), homemade or bulk toothpaste, special branches. 

A year ago I wanted something very easy to use and buy, so I purchased CANDIZ by Pachamamaï. It's been 11 months and I'm still using it! I did not notice any change with my tooth. Link


Other brands are available, do not feel restricted!
I'm tempted to try a lime and patchouli one (made in britanny, tut tut patriotism!)


Using a bamboo toothbrush is surprising the first time, but you get used to the sensation after a few days. I quickly forget about their plastic equivalent. 
- The nylon brushes are stronger than plastic ones (on my bamboo toothbrush anyway).
- You can compost the bamboo part after using it. You can increase its lifespan by using it to clean your house or small object once you finish using it as a toothbrush. 
- Price: 4,90€/ 12months(and more???)

NOTES
  • I don't really shave, but if you do you can use a safety razor or natural wax. You can find many recipes and advice in books (check your local library) or on the internet. 
  • Soon on the blog: Using cloth pads and pants (the greatest thing on earth).  Make up remover and making my own coton make up remover.

Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés